Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty Update


I have been working on my Sweet Land of Liberty quilt but haven't posted any updates recently.  Shown above are my months 7 and 8.  There are two blocks missing....an embroidered one and one with the head of the Statue of Liberty.  Both of those go above the flag and the head is partly sewn on the star block next to it.  I like my stars and don't want to block them!  So I'm trying to think of something to put in it's place.  I may make it a lettering block, but I'm having trouble with making  letters that show up.  I've taken most of the other letters off of the rest of the quilt top and am working on drawing a decent looking alphabet in the correct sizes.

There is still some detail work that needs to be done here...berries and the centers of the flowers and words on both that block and the fish.  I have no idea of why there is a fish on a flag pole...may be something to do with food for the revolution or a cash crop, but I made a salmon.  As usual most of these blocks are hand drawn.  I've progressed from trying to trace the design from my computer screen to just drawing it free hand.  I've only had one art class (landscape design) but on requirement was to draw for 20 minutes a day.  I t was amazing to see the differences in the drawings from week one to the last of the quarter.  I'm seeing that improvement again with this project.

Almost all of the fabrics used are from thrift shop shirts and a few other thrift acquistions.  The flag is an exception...for the stars I used a square of a Japanese themed fabric line...it looked so much like stars that I couldn't resist and the red stripes are a batik from stash.  When I started this sew along I was worried that I wouldn't have enough traditional looking fabrics to give the proper look to my quilt as most of my stash are bright colors.  My shirt stash came to the rescue along with a charm pack of Jo's Shirtings.  Overall, I'm please with how this is turning out.  Many thanks to Lori of  Humble Quilts for guiding us.

Linking with Moving it forward Monday and Monday Making

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely two months worth of blocks!! I just really love each one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every single one of this group's share has been fantastic. I keep saying I'm going to join in but I think you've gotten a bit too far for me to catch up. In the meantime I'll enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making such great progress on this quilt. I haven't started mine yet, and did worry that I would have too many brights, but I made Life of Plenty with brights, and it looked pretty good, so I am going to do the same - tone it down and include as many traditional fabrics as possible, but go ahead anyway.

    ReplyDelete