Sunday, April 1, 2018

Hand Stitching and Catch Up

Happy Easter everyone!

It's been a slow week in terms of progress and accomplishments.  I've been sewing down all the little pieces of my Sweet Land project.  It's been slow going as my machine has decided that it doesn't like the invisible thread and keeps breaking.  I've gone to matching regular thread which has lead to lots of thread changes.

I ran into a problem with putting my Quilty 365 quilt sandwich together.  I use a spray adhesive and after I got it about halfway done, I noticed that the backing fabric had bubbled.  I'll be taking that apart and restretching that fabric.

Since I'm planning on hand quilting that and since I've never done that, I  got out my Palmateer Point unfinished top and am now trying to hand quilt that.  It's not going well...I need more practice!  So far, my biggest problem is trying to keep the stitching going in a straight line.  I'll probably end up taking it all out and redoing, but right now, I'm going to keep on so I can watch my hopeful improvement!
My stitching is really hard to see on this...some are in pink, the others are tan.

I did manage to empty four grocery totes of scraps and get them sorted into strings and scraps to be cut into squares or other usable pieces.  The hard part is deciding what sizes and then organizing into colors.  I see beautiful photos of nicely organized scraps and hope one day to be among them!

Linking with Slow Sunday Stitching

4 comments:

  1. Keep it in! It shows where you are now and you get to see how you progress. The good news... it is going to keep that quilt together as is and someone will enjoy snuggling under it. Quilty hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that practice really helps with hand quilting. Unfortunately I wait too long between hand quilting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, keep those stitches in. It is all stitched by you...improving as you go along. Love this scrappy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see your going to take up hand quilting. I have done very little myself. I have used painter tape to stitch next to to keep a good straight line. The tape can be reused a few times over.

    ReplyDelete