Sunday, September 23, 2018

September Sweet Land of Liberty Blocks


I'm very grateful for this sew along's philosophy of "if it doesn't fit, add or subtract a strip".  Somewhere, I made a reading or assembly error so I had to add a few strips to the bottom and the top right hand edge.  Since I didn't have enough room at the bottom of the the flying geese blocks to add the date, I put that next to the stars.  The FG strip has part of a charm piece that has the Pledge of Allegiance printed on it. It's a large enough piece that the whole pledge is readable so that worked very well.  I used more of that same charm for the angel's flag.  There will be red buttons added to the oak leaf section and the bird's pot after quilting.  I'm still undecided what to add to the sideways angel but I think it needs something.

This is the last section of the quilt.  Later this week, I'll join the other bottom section and work on the borders.  I think I'll need more flying geese for that.  I keep looking at the ones I've made and thinking that they need more color.  I'm sure I'll be tinkering with this for a while.

Many thanks to Lori of Humble Quilts for this sew along.  It's been a lot of fun....now, I want to do another one!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this style of quilt! Have you seen A Life of Plenty? It is a free sew along with Jeni Gaston. I made that - it was a similar process. (I like the moon you added to the angel. I will be analyzing your pictures and posts to how else you differed from the pattern)

    ReplyDelete