Monday, September 10, 2018

A New Year.. A New Project

No matter what the calendar says, September seems like the beginning of a new year to me. Too many years in school, perhaps, but January has never felt like a beginning....it's the middle of the school year and the middle of winter..not a good time for energy or new projects while September is also the start of a new season.

I've seen several temperature quilts being done and thought what a fun project that would be. The last several years our weather has been changing to more extremes in our supposedly moderate climate.  I'm just south of Seattle and have had temps in the low 100's and the teen's in recent years.

 I've seen flying geese, hexies, squares and strips done.   I've decided to go with 2.5"  half square triangles with both the high and the low temp for each day in a 20x20 grid.  That will give me 400 spaces for the 365 days of the year with enough room to mark the beginning of each month and spaces for a color code at the bottom.

This is September 1-9.  The top left is the high temp for the day and the bottom right is the low.  In these nine days, I've a 40 degree difference but nothing in the 60's.  I hadn't realized that there was that much variation.

All temps are Fahrenheit
50-55 lt. pink
56-59  Bright pink
60-65 light green
66-69 med. green
70-75 lt. yellow
76-79 bright yellow
80-85 lt. orange
86-89 dark orange
90 and above will be reds...hopefully, I won't be using those for a while!  The 40's and below will be aquas, purples and blues.

I'm really hoping to get a very colorful quilt from this without long stretches of one color.  It will be interesting to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment