Sunday, July 22, 2018

Anthologie Quilt

Several months ago, while browsing blogs, I ran across a sew along from BariJ of Art Gallery Fabrics and Melissa of Southern Charm Quilts.  It featured what they are calling a Boho style sampler quilt.  It seemed to require a lot of fabrics and the sew along was almost finished.  I saved all the downloads and listed it as something I'd like to try in the future.  When I moved, I did find fabrics that I thought might be suitable and set them aside.  The blocks include different techniques such as applique and dresden plates as well as straight piecing.

One of the techniques is fabric collage.  About 2004, I bought Rosemary Eichorn's book The Art of Fabric Collage and made two vests using her techniques...probably the most fun I've had sewing!  So that discovery moved the quilt up on my do to list.

The posts and patterns are still available here, at Southern Charm Quilts.

I started at the top with the Dresden Plate section.  Instead of plain fabrics, two of my blocks are from a vintage card table cloth that was so stained at the folds that it was unusable but I really liked the dogwood pattern.  It still needs more Dresdens and the ones there are pinned on. Shown is half the fabric collage section with a pinned doily  and flower along with an embroidered piece.  I'm planning on adding more from dish towels and other embroidered pieces but I want to wait until I've done some of the piecing and see what colors I want to pick up.


I see that I may have to take off the top right block and send it through the washing machine!  Those creases aren't apparent IRL and it has been steamed and ironed!  Sorry about the shadows.

I've run across a problem with some fabric and I don't know how to deal with it.  I bought a jelly roll of fabrics and they are fraying very badly.  Even though I trimmed the threads before I sewed threads kept coming off.  They wrapped around the presser foot and now are inside my featherweight's bobbin assembly and I need to dismantle and clean since the machine has jammed.  I hate to toss them all out since I sew on a budget but that's probably cheaper than machine repair bills!  Any suggestions on dealing with them?  Here's a picture if you can see them....more come off as they are handled...I think it's excessive or am I wrong?



Linking with Oh Scrap
Monday Making

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to upcycle and reuse. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t participate but I sure enjoyed seeing the quilts made on this quilt along. Have fun with the process and thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your blocks are looking so far, such a pretty palette. I followed along, and just love my finished quilt. So many opportunities to make this a very unique quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresden plates look so pretty! Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came over, finding your blog listed on Juliekquilts.blogspot.com. I realize I'm a month late to your question about the threads being sucked into your bobbin area but I do have an idea. Buy a roll of wax paper and cut some into 1" or 2" wide lengths. Every time you sew one of these fabrics with the threads hanging off, put a length of wax paper underneath the fabric, next to the feed dogs, and sew it together with the seam. Then rip off the wax paper. It will come off very easily and yet protect your feed dogs from pulling the threads into the bobbin area. Good Luck!
    I LOVE that Dogwood fabric!! It is so beautiful!! At first I wondered what fabric you meant, then I saw it - so different, it just reaches out and blesses the eyeballs with its loveliness. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete