Sunday, February 4, 2018

One of Those Days!

We've all had them, I'm sure.  Mine started when I started laying out the borders to to my Quilty 365 project.  How wide to cut, will I have enough room to put writing on them and what color order should I use?  Mostly fun questions and I knew what I wanted the finished quilt to look like. So I cut the borders and laid out the first of my circles and the doubts started.  My circles look a lot smaller when cut in half and the gap of plain fabric looks a lot larger.    I'm not a big fan of borders on quilts anyway.  I think that a lot of the time, they detract from the quilt and make the eye look at the border instead of the whole quilt...I do know that I'm in the minority on this.

before wide border

While I thought about the width of the border, I started by laying out my scallops on the inner portion carefully measuring the 1/4" seam allowance. I pinned into place and went to my machine putting my last spool of piecing thread on it.  I sewed about an inch when the thread fell off!  I turned the spool around and it happened again.  Somehow the thread was catching in the little slit.  Using a kitchen knife I was able to pry enough plastic off so I could sew with the thread.  Two scallops in, I noticed that each was growing when being sewed.  I had to unpin and realign each one.  About nine scallops in, I had to leave one out.  My circles are done with fusible interfacing and it seems to have pulled the fabric in enough that it makes the measurements off.  OK, fuse first, then sew....except that my new batch of cheap fusible interfacing is fussy about what fabrics it wants to fuse too and it doesn't like the border fabric.


projected border
These aren't even pinned yet but what do you think?  Too much yellow space?    

Linking with Em's ScrapbagLove Laugh quiltl, and Oh Scrap                                        











3 comments:

  1. Yikes... when it rains it pours problems. Sorry you are having bad times finishing this quilt. I would audition the half circles with differing widths of fabric and maybe color. It seems a bit wide in the picture but overall it might be fine. Good luck. Hopefully the quilt will tell you what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. More space will give you more room for quilting. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the wide space of yellow. I can just picture some lovely quilting there.

    ReplyDelete