Saturday, September 9, 2017

Starting Over

Quite a few of my circles for the Quilty 365 project have come from charms and fat quarters which leave a small scrap too big to toss out.  In an effort to use these up and improve my skills, I surfed and found the Lazy Girl variation of the Single Girl quilt.  Perfect!  Practice in curves, uses lots of scraps and something a bit different since it was popular about six years ago...way before I started quilting.

I decided to make four squares...a complete circle to try it out.  In the process, I've learned several things.
1.  a quarter inch difference in matching the centers equals about 3/4 inch off in the sides.
2.  I'm going back to my apparel sewing technique of marking the wrong side of solid fabrics with
     blackboard chalk.
3.  Actually sewing the curve was not a problem...just like setting in a sleeve.
4.  I really, really need more accuracy in pattern drafting
5.  trying to figure out which way to slant a seam for an angle is really hard if you have no spatial            ability at all.

Back to the drafting table for another try!

The solid is Kona cotton Valentine.

Linking with Em's Scrabag

3 comments:

  1. Have you looked at EQ software, Jann? These blocks you're making would be so much easier and more accurate if you let your computer do the math for you. The scrappy arc could be foundation paper pieced and EQ would print out the foundations for those as well as accurate templates for the quarter circle and the outer piece as well. You are brave to attempt this "old school!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept..
    ทองดีฟันขาว

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use of your scraps. Makes me want to use a few of mine in the same way. Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete