Tuesday, January 31, 2017

31 Days of Circles

I'm taking part in the Quilty 365 for 2017 over at Daisy and Jack's blogl.  These are my 31 circles for January.  I've put my circles on a 4.5 square and will be doing a yellow scrappy background.  So far, I've had enough of one shade of yellow to do the entire month.  The scrappy part will start to appear next month.

The circle fabric gets chosen first thing in the morning and really has no relation to how I'm feeling,  The very dark circles are a deep purple batik and from the diamond quilt I'm still working on!  They do not indicate that I'm depressed!  I have noticed that the flower fabrics tend to get chosen on sunny days.  I have multiple scrap bins and grab a handful and chose from those.

I've used a drinking glass for the circle pattern and  draw that onto a thin interfacing, then cut and stitch.

I place the interfacing with the fusible side next to the right side of the fabric.  When I slice the interfacing and turn, the fusible side is then on the outside and can be fused to the background. The middle circle is shown partially turned.  This method works so much better for me than using freezer paper or needleturn applique.

Linking up with Daisy and Jack Handmade

Saturday, January 21, 2017

sew, press, rip.....repeat

Way back in 2013, I had a 2.5" strip roll of batiks. While looking for a pattern that was a bit different from the usual jelly roll quilt, I ran across this at the Moda Bake Shop.  I liked the diamonds and  completely ignored the tag that this was an "ambitious" project.  At this time I had made several small projects and a Scrappy Trip quilt and had been sewing garments since childhood.  So, I started and had everything cut except the final finishing solid triangles and about one third of it assembled when I realized that I had problems.  It then went into a bag where it sat until this year when I unearthed it and decided that it needed to be finished.

Putting it together on my design floor, I realized that the problems weren't as severe as I had thought. I do have some strips sewn to the wrong sides of the triangles and several extra multicolored triangles.  The major problem is a section that seems to have a permanet pucker,,,probably from a stretched bias.  I think that I can recut those triangles and solve that problem.  Now, I am piecing the undone sections ...trying to get the triangle bases even has involved sewing them, unfolding to see that the the bases are uneven and then ripping and trying again.  Most everything is being sewn at least twice!


This is the section with the puckers...everything else needs a good pressing but I don't want to do that until assembling is completed for fear of stretching more bias! My goal is to have the whole thing pieced by the end of the weekend.

Friday, January 20, 2017

monthly mini quilt sew along


Carolyn of sewshecan  has started a mini quilt along.  Instead of a block a month, you end up with a finished quilt.  So, I have an 8″ finished quilt, but finished is finished!!  It does make me feel better about the unfinished Splendid Sampler blocks and the quilt started in 2013 that is now on my design floor.  Here is my January 2017 effort…..the quilting isn’t showing at all…maybe a new camera would help...


Monday, January 16, 2017

new year...new blog

Several months ago, I returned to quilting after breaking my left arm.  It’s really hard to cut with only one good hand!  The partial recovery has taken a long time but that didn’t stop me from buying fabrics or reading others blogs…..so many great ideas out there…now, i need to finish up neglected projects and start new ones.  Please come along for my journey!